Friday, September 26, 2014

Why I Chose to Work in Food Service

Of all the jobs I could have taken in my time at college, why did I choose something like food service? I didn't have any prior experience before applying for BuDS (Brown University Dining Services). And I can't say the thought of working with food struck me as particularly exciting when I first thought of it either.

This question has definitely been on my mind for this first week of work. This would seem to suggest that I lacked a definitive reason for choosing BuDS before I started. On the contrary, I lacked substance in my earlier thoughts, and it is only now, after working 5 shifts that I have come to actualize what was initially but a romantic notion.

It's a bit of a silly statement isn't it? Working in food service is... romantic? I admit my interpretation of the term is a bit liberal here. And no, I don't mean I'm in love with food (those who know me could attest that I actually eat very little.)

What I mean is that there's something simple and gratifying about serving one's fellow human beings in such a direct manner.

Our world is full of invisible and abstract metrics. One gains "knowledge" in college, but although the asset is undoubtedly useful, it's immediate benefits are not apparent, instead relegated to the uncertain future. For humanities majors, I imagine this is especially true (I say this with the deepest respect and reverence for the humanities, which continues to teach me in ways I rarely expect.)

This list of abstractions goes on and on. From the value of "networking" to the merits of learning increasingly arcane calculus and linear algebra. With the advent of information technology, our lives are trapped within abstractions more than ever before, and though a vastly more open world can lead to new discoveries, it can also lead to a profound sense of aimlessness. While I've always been cynical when it comes to statistics on mood, the studies that claim that our generation is among the most anxious and depressed do not surprise me.

What does this have to do with working for BuDS? I am a part of this generation, and I would say that my mind is also a pretty active thing. It's easy to get bogged down by complex thoughts, especially when doing coursework or writing essays. But when I'm chopping a salad, making a pizza, or flipping a burger, my mind has only one thought.

"Make the food."

There is a kind of pleasure to be taken from such a simple, clear thought. Food Service jobs require immediate attention. The task is right in front of you, and you must finish it as best you can. And when you're done with that task, it is really done, and you move onto the next one.

You can't say that about a lot of things today.

I first discovered the power of simple, efficient work when I began washing dishes for fun in high school. Between clubs, college apps, and tests, life often felt overwhelmingly complex. But when one washes dishes, the work is right in front of you, and the progress is immediate. You can see the sink emptying and the clean pile rising. That's powerful stuff.

With all the big ideas and dreams floating around here, Brown can seem like a pretty lofty place. But at the end of the day, everyone needs to eat. And there's really something beautiful about that unity isn't there?

No comments:

Post a Comment