Thursday, July 28, 2016

On Solitude


Solitude has always been surrounded by various connotations. At least in the US, one of its most common associations is with social isolation. Solitude is seen as the sole companion of the unfortunate, socially dysfunctional, and even mentally twisted. Another common association is with that of the creative genius. Lore surrounding artistic, scientific, and other inventive minds often pictures them alone, working for lengthy hours in their workshop of choice. I would venture that amidst all these images, one thing remains certain about solitude. It is essential to maintaining one’s mental health and spirit.

Over this summer vacation, I’ve spent significantly more time in solitude than in college. I wouldn’t attribute this to a radical change in lifestyle. I conduct my life in mostly the same way, but simply by virtue of being away from campus and classes, I spend more time alone. I’ve found that as I spend more time alone, I’m increasingly content to live life at a quieter, slower pace. Conversations with friends, though less frequent, are also less superficial, studying feels more personally fulfilling, and even playing games alone allows my imagination to roam more freely.

In society, it often seems that the importance of an event rises proportionally to the number of people involved in it. I want to make clear that I don’t find this surprising or problematic. Sharing and social engagement are essential to our development and health as human beings. But I can’t help but feel that increasingly, solitude is not recognized as an equally important state of being.

Solitude leads to deeper thinking and reflection. It allows our minds to process, debate, and interpret the myriad of events that occur throughout the day. Thus it is essential to self-discovery.  Regardless of one’s MBTI, solitude also helps make our social interactions more fulfilling and real. Consider this quote from Bell Hooks:

“Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.”

Stereotypes do exist for a reason. Solitude certainly has the potential to lead to social reclusion that can further slide down to depression. But to ignore its unique and essential benefits is an equally dangerous proposition, as one may grow out of touch with the self, or become overly dependent on other people. At the end of the day, no one wants to be lonely. And what be lonelier than rejecting one’s own company?

No comments:

Post a Comment