Monday, July 13, 2015

Memory

As I sorted through some old pictures from my phone I was struck by how many events I had forgotten. With how fast the world moves today, it's pretty easy to forget the past isn't it?

I proposed an exercise to myself, and if you're interested, you can try this too. Think of a set time period in the past (could be a week ago, or even a year). What events can you recall? What days were the most memorable? What have you been doing?

Then take a look at your phone gallery, facebook wall, or any other source of your past. Which things did you forget about? What about the things that stuck out? Why were they important to you?

Yes, it is entirely possible that one simply forgets things because... well we're forgetful. But I feel that the events we recall the most clearly are especially revealing about our priorities and interests in life. I don't mean to say this lightly. Decoding our memories is never an easy task, and there are times when it is even potentially harmful. Yet the past contains the building blocks of who we are today, and shapes what we will use to build ourselves tomorrow. Framing one's life in this larger sense helps us stay on track towards our goals.

But more importantly, it may reveal the end of one road, and safely guide us towards another.

No comments:

Post a Comment