Saturday, August 23, 2014

On Ironing

In preparation for my move in to Brown, I found myself ironing some old clothes. My household actually doesn't keep an iron, so this was actually my first time even seeing one in use. I have to say, it was a strangely satisfying experience.

An iron provides two things: heat and steam. Using just those two forces, it magically straightens out wrinkled clothes. I have to say, when I first used it, I was legitimately fascinated. There's something so beautiful about this concept. Heat and water, together they can work wonders.

Of course, the process of ironing itself is relatively tedious, since one is forced to stand there doing a repetitive motion. I found my thoughts wandering to a common group of sayings. I've heard "heat and pressure make diamonds" and "clay must be fired before becoming hot" as variations of the idea that trials and tribulations make one stronger. I have to say though, I think my new favorite variation is: "heat and water straighten clothes."

If we were to liken clothes to people (a little strange but bear with me), there's a somber similarity. We both wrinkle over time. Through no fault of our own, our previous luster loses its shine.

And yet an iron presses clothes back into shape with those two wondrous substances: heat and water. In this metaphor, heat represents tests or pressures, just like in other sayings. Where I think the "Iron" metaphor succeeds is in the water.

Before I explain why the water aspect is so profound, I'll have to clarify the problem I have with the whole "heat makes you stronger" idea. Yes, trials and tribulations have a strong potential to strengthen us, but they can just as easily break us. Sometimes a tragedy is just that: a tragedy. There is no lesson to be learned, no comfort to be found. Coming to terms with such irrational sorrow is a part of growing up, as shown in the cynical stage so common to us adolescents.

And yet heat continuously applied does nothing but burn the cloth. A wise ironer applies the heat in controlled doses, over a wide area. And most importantly, water is used.

Water ensures the cloth does not burn as easily, and also makes it easier to shape with the heat. In the same way, heat is not as effective on us if we have no water.

What does it mean to have that water in terms of people? That's a question I think I'll have to ponder some more. But I think a good start is that water gives us the ability to embrace and resist heat. Water also allows us to then use that heat not as a destructive force, but an accelerator to straighten and mold ourselves. Perhaps it is a strong network of friends and family? Maybe an inner peace with oneself? Or is it a relative force that differs for each of us?

Ultimately, this is still a very abstract reflection, but the concept of water itself is what is important. Not all tests are good, if one is not in the right condition. Indeed, I'm glad I remembered to fill up my water tank before ironing my second shirt (after burning the corner of my first.)

Do I find it sad that the first thing I felt like writing about in college is ironing?

...

Maybe just a little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment